Hey Folks!! Amy Dashwood is doing a Scarlet Pimpernel blog party and here are the answers to the tag.
1. The obvious question... how'd you get introduced to the Scarlet Pimpernel?
I was introduced to TSP by my older sisters and mom. I have to confess that I practically knew the whole story before I read it because all 5 of them read it before me and talked about it a lot!!
2. If you could meet any of the characters in real life, who would you choose and why? (you can use the obvious answer of Sir Percy if you really want to, but this is your chance to get creative. ;))
Well besides Sir Percy and Marguerite of course, Lord Anthony Dewhurst and Sir Andrew Ffoulkes would be my choice.
3. What are your top 3 favorite quotes from the books or movies? (yes, just three)
Of all my top favorite quotes, here are three.
"As for seconds? Perish the thought. One second only, I entreat, and that one a lady—the most adorable—the most detestable—the most true—the most fickle amidst all her charming sex.... Do you agree, sir?"
"You have not told me her name, Sir Percy?"
"Chance, Monsieur, Chance.... With His Royal Highness' permission let the wilful jade decide."
It was the sound of a good, solid, absolutely British "Damn!"
We are men, Armand, and the word forgiveness has only been spoken once these past two thousand years, and then it was spoken by Divine lips.
4. Who is your favorite supporting character in the books? (Percy and Marguerite are ineligible)
For me it is probably a tie between Tony and Andrew.
5. Which film versions have you seen and which do you like best?
The 1934, and 1982 films. And my favorite was DEFINITELY the 1982.
6. What's your top-absolute-favorite scene in the first book? (if you've read it-- if not, what's your favorite scene in whichever movie you prefer?)
It is a toss up between the Richmond scene and the End scene.
7. If you could dream-cast a new adaptation of the book (a period piece, that is) who would you choose to play the roles of Sir Percy, Marguerite and Chauvelin?
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sir Percy, Romola Garai as Marguerite and I think Blake Ritson as Chauvelin.
8. Do you think the Scarlet Pimpernel does his rescue work purely for "the love of sport," as the narrative would tell us (and as he would often claim) or does he have more noble motives that he won't admit? Explain your answer. Show your work.
I don't really know!
9. Second to Chauvelin, who is the worst villain in the book series, and why?
Of the ones that I have read, probably Marat. He is just so awful and he makes my skin creep even more then Chauvelin does.
10. What's your favorite novel in the series (if you've read more than one)? If not, which one are you most excited to read?
11. If you could change one thing about your favorite version of the movie, what would it be?
More of Lord Anthony Dewhurst.
12. Lastly... how would you convince a skeptical friend to read/watch TSP? What is it that you love about it?Talk about it and talk about it until they finally gave in!! I have already convinced two people to read it, but neither of them were really skeptical. What is it that I love about it? EVERYTHING!!!!!