The Tolkien Tag 2016
1. How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read?
A lot more then when I did this tag last year!! I have read, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Children of Hurin.
2. Have you seen any movies based on them?
I have seen the theatrical and extended editions of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the theatrical editions of his The Hobbit trilogy.
3. Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?
An easier question to answer would be, "are there any scenes that don't make you cry". The sad scenes make me cry, the beautiful scenes make me cry and I always cry when the Horns of Rohan are heard on the Pelennor Fields. Both in the books and movies.
4. Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh?
GaZOBS!! Pippin scenes, Legolas/Gimli scenes. And I tend to laugh at the Orcs twisted belief that "this is the age of the Orcs". Also when they discover that the Rohirrim riding down on top of them aren't scared of them!
5. Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself? If so, what is it?
Well I have used a Elvish and Hobbit name generator and these were the results.
My Elvish name is: Finduilas Arnatuilë (I have always loved the name Finduilas!!)
My Hobbit name is: Sweetpea Bulge of Great Smials (I must be a cousin of Pippin's!)
I have also translated my own name into Elvish, but I'm not going to state it here.
6. Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters)
Oh my goodness!! Party with? Merry and Pippin. MARRY?!?!?!?! I have no idea!! If I have to choose someone (well someone who isn't dead or married by the end of their respective book), I'll just say......Beregond if he isn't already married? His wife is never mentioned. Otherwise Eomer. Totally and completely. Fight to the death? Well if it's fight beside, then Kili and Thorin, if it's fighting against then, I don't know. Ugluk.
7. When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies?
Well I am kind of there now. Melody and I are reading the books out loud to some of the kids. We are about to read, "The King of the Golden Hall". I haven't watched the movies yet this year, which is a serious crime!!
8. Do you consider Gollum to be a villain? Why or why not?
Not really. I consider him more of an antagonist. Yes he does some really horrific things, and yes he was a bad person even before the Ring took him, but I can't think him thoroughly a villain because of how much of his villainy IS caused by the Ring and not really by him. (I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm not feeling well today and my brain isn't working!)
9. How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word?
10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.
I don't have the current brain power to actually go search them out (or remember them) right now, so I will just grab a bunch off of Pinterest.
And of course this one!!!